Rustic Lemon Bars
Summertime freshness in a dessert that is both simple and delicious. Since lemons are seasonal for most of the year in California, any time is a great time to enjoy these treats! Makes 15 bars
- 6 Lemons (1 cup) of Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest
- 2 sticks (8 oz) Butter; room temp
- 3.5 cups Sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- 6 Lemons
- 2 sticks (8 oz) Butter
- 2 lbs Sugar
- 6 eggs
Please watch the short video above to see how it’s done.
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
1. In a large bowl cream 2 sticks of butter with 1/2 cup of sugar. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer, both are fine. Once mixed thoroughly, add 2 cups of flour and continue to stir until a dough like consistency.
2. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and work the dough to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
1. Combine the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of six lemons in a medium sized mixing bowl (6 lemons yield about 1 cup of fresh lemon juice; seeds and pulp removed). Add 3 cups of sugar and mix until uniform.
2. Mix in 6 eggs. Then add 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
Combining the Crust and the Filling:
1. Remove crust from the oven and slowly pour filling into the pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the lemon filling is set. Put in the fridge, freezer or let cool until room temperature.
2. Once cooled, remove from pan and dust with powdered sugar (optional). Cut into squares and serve.